Tuesday 20 May 2014

Future and past applique.


I had a trip to the Tweed Regional Art Gallery to see the Margaret Olley Exhibition. The center has  re-created rooms from her home and studio in Paddington. Great exhibition. To see her home and work area plus her art work was so good. Wonderful Australia artist.


 
 yyyyiiiiippppppiiii   I have finished all my applique blocks. (24 of them) I start this quilt at a Kim KcLean workshop at the  New Zealand 2013 Quilt Symposium .
 The pattern is "Flower Garden" by Kim McLean.   

The blocks have all been trimmed to size. I now have 1139  1" squares to cut for the sashings and boarders. Did I tell you that I'm a little mad, think you have to be to cut that many 1" squares. (sorry Kim)





 
This is the very first applique quilt I made. Think it was made around the 1970's my first years of High School. I have turned the edges under as I was stitching it down on the machine, so it's pretty bad. The fabrics I have used, are all left over dress fabrics. Lovely yellow bias to join the blocks and  a chenille rug double over on the inside with a sheet for backing. It is so heavy. I made it the same way mum and gran made Woggers. Great to look back on and remember days gone by.

 

                                                           Few photos that I really like.





 
           Display of Knitting and crochet at the Crows Nest Craft Shop. Very clever



Happy sewing every one, wish me luck with the cutting of my 1" squares.

1 comment:

  1. Peggy your quilt looks wonderful - knowing you it won't take too long to get the squares cut, so just do it. We'll have to add a trip to the Tweed when I come to visit you.

    ReplyDelete