Monday 16 January 2012

After 4 long years my tree quilt is finished...

Four long years ago I went of to my first AQC Australian Quilt Convention.It was one off the best quilting conventions I had been to. AQC is held in Melbourne each year. It is at the Royal Exhibition Building, an amazing old building. Plus they have the best of the best quilts on display, quilts from all over Australia & from overseas. There's so much to look at and to take in. They have a lot of classes available on the four days.  Wonderful tutors from OZ & Overseas. Its very hard to pick what you want to do or to try to fit in every thing you'd to do.
 
 The first year I went it was every easy for me because I picked a 4 day class with Rosalie Dace. Wonderful lady, I had the best 4 days in her class. The name of the class was "Branching Out" In this class we had to discover the different shapes, patterns, lines, textures, colours & symbolism of the trees while experimenting with design.We used a variety of techniques to make our quilts. So we had to branch out & try something new by designing a quilt based on a tree.
I took photos of trees on the river at the back of our place (so in our backyard) I love all the knots, burls, bark & holes on trees.This took a big part in the design of my quilt. Onces I arrived home from Melbourne I finished my quilt top & then it was put away in the cupboard waiting to be quilted.  It's been in & out of that cupboard so many times its not funny. Every time I got it out to work on some thing would happen & away it would go again. Finally it stayed out this time & I've finished it!  I'm very pleased with the end result. Just have to give it a name now, any ideas?



Exciting times here - look at the lovely parcel I received in the mail. Only thing is I have to share it with my friend Laurene. That's going to be hard, the colours are great (perhaps I shouldn't tell here it's arrived).  It will be interesting to see how/where I use these fabrics.


 I made this quilt as a scrap foundation quilt when we had the shop. It was a class we had at the shop. The quilt top has been sitting here waiting to be quilted, so I sent it of to Evol.  As always she's done a wonderful job with the quilting.
                                                    Close up of the quilting.

No comments:

Post a Comment